A light, flavourful dish which makes a grand entrance!
- 1 bag spinach leaves
- 60g butter or margarine (60ml)
- 30g cake flour (50ml)
- 300ml milk
- 30ml finely chopped parsely
- 30ml finely chopped chives
- 5 extra-large egg yolks
- 3ml ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 extra-large egg whites
- 60 mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 30g parmesan cheese, grated
- Butter a large 1.5 litre souffle dish well, or 4 smaller ramekin dishes. Place baking paper around each ramekin and tie in place.
- Preheat oven 180 degrees / 160 degrees fan/ gas mark 4
- Cook spinach in a small amount of boiling water, remove with a slotted spoon and place on a dinner plate.
- Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan, stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in milk; stir constantly until mixture thickens. Place some plastic wrap when ready to use. Or make this sauce in the microwave oven in a glass bowl or jug.
- When cool enough, beat egg yolks together, add in a small amount of white sauce, beat well and return all the mixture to the white sauce. Beat well and blend.
- Stir in nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Add in parsley and chives.
- Chop well-drained spinach and add to the sauce
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into spinach mixture together with grated cheddar cheese.
- Spoon carefully into prepared souffle dish(es). Sprinkle parmesan cheese over.
- Place souffle dishes into a roasting tin with boiling water halfway up the sides of the souffle dish.
- Bake large souffle for about 40-45 minutes, smaller ramekins for about 25-30 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.