There is nothing nicer than freshly baked muffins. The only difficult part of this recipe is the grating of the apples and carrots and a little arm muscle strength to mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon. Great muffins to serve with breakfast or a late morning Sunday brunch. Give them a try!
Makes about 12 – 15 large muffins
- 500ml (2 cups) cake flour, sifted
- 10ml (2 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 300ml (1¼ cups) sugar
- 10ml (2 tsp) cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 375ml (1½ cups) grated peeled apple (about 3 large apples)
- 375ml (1½ cups) grated carrot
- 200ml ( ¾ cup) desiccated coconut
- 125ml (½ cup) raisins
- 125ml (½ cup) chopped pecan nuts (optional)
- 250ml (1 cup) cooking oil
- 3 extra large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease a 12-hole muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, place the grated apples, grated carrots, coconut, raisins, oil, beaten eggs and vanilla essence. Using a wooden spoon, mix together until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until moistened. Do not over mix.
- Spoon into muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes.