Aubergines (brinjals) 2
Onion roughly chopped 1
Avocado oil 30 ml
Chilli avocado oil 15 ml
Ginger root finely chopped 2 cm
Cloves garlic crushed 2
Ground cumin 5 ml
Tomato purée 5 ml
Mild paprika 3 ml
Ground almonds 15 ml
Fresh coriander chopped 30 ml
Juice of lime 1
Sea salt to taste
Spring onions 2
1. Roast aubergines for about 40 minutes at 200ºC/180ºC fan/ Gas mark 5,
until they are really soft.
2. Allow to cool. Cut in half and scoop out flesh and chop roughly,
3. Chop onion in the Kenwood Chopper. Sauté onion in avocado oil and chilli
avocado oil for about 5 minutes, do not brown.
4. Add in ginger, garlic, cumin, tomato purée and paprika. Stir over a low heat
for a minute.
5. Add in aubergines and cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Stir in almonds and coriander. Place mixture into the Kenwood food
processor which has been fitted with the double-knife-stainless-steel blade.
7. Purée mixture adding a little more oil if needed to give a good consistency.
8. Stir in lime juice and add sea salt to taste.
9. Store in refrigerator, but serve at room temperature.
10. Turn into an attractive bowl, garnish with spring onions and provide
savoury biscuits, vegetable sticks or slices of Carrot and Olive bread.
Serves: 6 – 8 as appetizer