This Best-Ever Hot Milk Sponge cake goes down so well and is so easy to whip up! It will look stunning on your Christmas Table this year. Why not give it a try this Festive Season and let us know how it goes, I would love to hear your feedback!
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, I would definitely suggest the LG Convection Neo Chef which has precise temperature control with its smart inverter technology, you can now cook a variety of dishes that microwaves were previously never able to prepare! I am giving one of these away on my Facebook Page to a lucky follower for Christmas, visit https://bit.ly/2E0UYPq to enter!
Its a great basic cake that can be made in different flavours, and dolled up or down for serving.
Makes 1 cake
- 4 extra-large eggs
250 g castor sugar (300 ml)
- 280 g cake flour (500 ml)
- 15 ml baking powder
- 250 ml milk
- 100 g butter or margarine (100 ml)
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- Set the temperature to 180c
- Grease the sides and base of 2 x 20 cm cake tins. Line the bases with baking paper rounds, grease again.
- Place eggs and sugar in an electric food mixer bowl, and beat well together until thick and pale yellow in colour.
- Sift dry ingredients: fold in carefully along the side of the bowl with a metal spoon or spatula. Do not over-beat.
- Heat milk and butter together for 2 minutes on 100% power; do not boil.
- Add essence and milk mixture to batter, mixing carefully.
Take care not to over-beat, thus stretching the gluten in the flour.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a skewer or cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out on a cooling rack.
- When completely cold, sandwich together with raspberry or strawberry jam; and dust surface with sifted icing sugar or make up a vanilla butter icing; sandwich the two cakes together with a little butter icing; frost the top of the cake with remaining icing.
- Sandwich together with 250 ml whipped cream and use a chocolate ganache icing on the top.
- Remove 50 ml cake flour, and add 50 ml cocoa powder to make a chocolate sponge.
- Add 30 ml coffee powder to boiling milk mixture for a coffee cake.
- Use fresh fruit and whipped cream for a decadent effect.Tips:
• A great cake for children ́s birthday cakes.
• If baking all in one pan, allow to bake for longer (40 – 45 minutes) • Cut cakes easily in half with a long thread of dental floss.