A great basic cake that can be made in different flavours and dressed up or down for serving.
Makes 1 cake
4 extra-large eggs
250 g castor sugar (300 ml) 280 g cake flour (500 ml) 15 ml baking powder
250 ml milk
100 g butter or margarine (100 ml) 5 ml vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180oC/160oC fan/Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line the base of 2 x 20 cm loose-bottomed cake tins with baking paper. Grease again.
- Place eggs and sugar in a food mixer and beat well together until thick and pale yellow in colour.
- Sift dry ingredients; fold in carefully along the side of the mixture with a metal spoon or spatula.
- Heat milk and butter or margarine together for 2 minutes in the microwave oven on 100% power. Do not boil.
- Add in essence then add mixture to batter, mixing carefully. Do not overbeat. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a skewer or cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- When completely cold, sandwich together with raspberry or strawberry jam and dust surface with sifted icing sugar; or make up a vanilla butter icing and sandwich the two cakes together with a little butter icing. Frost the top of the cake with remaining icing.
- Sandwich together with 250 ml whipped cream and use a chocolate ganache icing on the top layer; or fill with cream and top with fresh fruit pieces.
- Great for children ́s birthday cakes.
- If baking all in one pan, then allow longer to bake (40 – 45 minutes)
- Cut cakes easily in half with a long thread of dental floss.
- Remove 50 ml cake flour and add 50 ml sifted cocoa powder to make a chocolate sponge.
- Add 30 ml coffee powder to boiling milk mixture for a coffee cake.
- Basic Butter Icing: 100 g soft butter or margarine, 500 ml icing sugar (250 g), 10 ml vanilla essence and 25 ml milk. Cream butter and icing sugar together well; add sufficient milk to make a good spreading consistency.
- Add in 30 ml cocoa powder dissolved in 30 ml hot water instead of milk, to make a chocolate icing.
Chocolate Ganache Icing:
Place 600 ml cream in a wide-mouthed pan; bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 x 200 g slab dark chocolate, broken into pieces. Mix to blend well. Allow to cool before using. Extra icing may be frozen for another time.