Best Taste Chocolate Muffins
Put the kettle on, it’s time for tea! These look like cupcakes, but taste like muffins. There is very little sugar in these muffins, as the icing is very sweet. If you choose not to use the condensed milk in the icing, double the amount of sugar in the recipe.
Makes 12 muffins
280 g cake flour (500 ml)
20 ml baking powder
2.5 ml salt
15 g granulated sugar (30 ml) 250 ml milk
1 extra-large egg, beaten 200 g dark or milk chocolate 50 g butter (50 ml)
150 ml condensed milk
15 ml icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200oC/180oC fan/ Gas mark 6.
- Grease or ‘spray and cook’ a 12-hole muffin pan; or line with paper cup liners.
- In the bowl of a large food mixer, sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Add in sugar.
- Beat egg and 250 ml milk together.
- Place 100 g chopped chocolate and butter in a glass bowl, and microwave on 70% power for 2 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, mix together until smooth, and chocolate has melted.
- Add to the egg mixture, and mix gently.
- Stir the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients until well mixed, using a low speed.
- Pour into the prepared muffin pans (or use an ice cream scoop with a built-in release). Fill 3⁄4 full; then bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked.
- Topping: Place the remainder of the chocolate and condensed milk in a glass bowl, and microwave on 70% power for 2 minutes. Mix well. Add the icing sugar and stir vigorously until combined. Cool slightly, then spread over the chocolate muffins.
Tips to Decorate:
- Instead of the above topping, use chocolate butter icing.
- Sieve icing sugar over the top.
- Decorate with chocolate, silver or rainbow-coloured balls.
- One Malteser chocolate ball also makes a great topping treat.
- Make chocolate curls, using white chocolate.