Warm or cold blinis served with a variety of toppings, together with a bottle of wine or champagne, is utter bliss! Give these a try, and experience the romantic moment! Makes about 45 – 50
- 110 g cake our (200 ml)
- 70 g buckwheat our (160 ml)
- 5 ml dried instant yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 175 ml low-fat milk
- 5 ml honey
- 20 g butter or margarine (20 ml) 125 ml buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- Knob of butter for cooking
- 250 g crème Fraiche
- 15 ml fresh dill, finely chopped
- 15 ml fresh parsley, finely chopped Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Smoked salmon slivers
- Lump sh caviar
- Creamy cheese such as cambozola or brie
- Horseradish and slivers of rare roast beef
- Tinned tuna, and sun-dried tomatoes
- Beetroot relish, with a little extra cream cheese or mascarpone cheese Caramelized onions and figs
- Poached pears and honey
- Sift the flour together, add in the yeast and salt, and stir to combine.
- Warm the milk, honey, and butter together in the microwave oven on 100% power for 11⁄2 minutes, until blood temperature.
- Add in the buttermilk and the egg yolks; whisk well together.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour, whisking all the time, to form a smooth batter.
- Cover bowl with greased plastic wrap, and place in a warm spot for an hour. Try putting the bowl on a kitchen stool in front of the closed, heated oven door. This works really well.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peak stage; gently fold into the yeast mixture.
- Use a non-stick frying pan, add butter; when melted and bubbling, rotate the pan to coat the bottom evenly with melted butter.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of the mixture into the pan. Cook until little bubbles appear on the surface; turn over and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Remove and set aside.
- Crème Fraiche: Mix all Crème Fraiche ingredients together. Place in the refrigerator until required.
- Place Crème Fraiche mixture into a disposable piping bag; Cut off the tip and pipe onto the cool blinis. Use the topping of your choice. Alternatively, serve blinis with a selection of toppings, allowing everybody to choose their own.
Sent with Love