Trendy and easy pâté which is ideal to serve with pita wedges at a book club or as a pre-dinner snack. Tahini paste is available at most Indian spice shops or you can use peanut butter instead of the tahini paste. This is really, really easy. The best is if you have some leftover butternut from last night’s supper. Just add a tin of chickpeas and pop it into the food processor; press the button. It’s done in a flash and tastes delicious. Fantastic for a starter or just to put on the table when the guests arrive.
Serves 10 – 12
125 g cooked butternut
1 x 410 g tin cooked chickpeas, drained
15 ml tahini paste
125 ml plain yoghurt
1 clove garlic, crushed
7 ml ground cumin
100 g feta cheese
15 ml olive oil
Salt and ground pepper to taste
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Place butternut and chickpeas in a food processor which has been fitted with the double-knife stainless steel blade, and blend.
2. Add all remaining ingredients, except the parsley, and pulse to mix well.
3. Chill before serving.
4. Serve with pita wedges or savoury biscuits of your choice.
• Save time by purchasing ready-prepared butternut pieces.
• Cook butternut on 100% power in the microwave oven for 3 – 4 minutes until soft.
• Great tip is to microwave whole garlic cloves for 20 – 30 seconds on 100% power. The skins just slide off!