These are delicious little treats, super as a starter or a snack. They may be used as a fairly substantial main course, with the addition of extra salad. This is a great way to use up any leftover butternut. It’s tempting to overindulge in this delicious combo of butternut, with the blue cheese and onion marmalade.
Makes 42 – 46 small fritters
2 large red onions, sliced 30 ml cooking oil
Salt and pepper
125 g brown sugar (155 ml) 125 ml red wine vinegar
675 g butternut, peeled and chopped (750 ml) 2 large eggs
7 ml salt
3 – 5 ml chilli flakes
280 g cake flour (500 ml)
15 ml baking powder
Cooking oil for shallow-fat frying
45 ml balsamic vinegar
To serve: 30 g rocket, 125 g blue cheese, crumbled
- Onion Marmalade: Sauté onions in oil with the salt and pepper, for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vinegars; cook to a syrupy consistency, then set aside.
- Fritters: Place the butternut into a steamer or into a colander over a saucepan, a quarter filled with boiling water; steam until tender.
- Mash the butternut; cool slightly, then mix in the eggs, salt and chilli flakes.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together; stir into the butternut.
- Cook spoonfuls of the mixture in a frying pan with a little oil; cooking over a medium heat. Turn over when puffed up.
- Drain well.
- Serve: Layer the fritters with the rocket and crumbled blue cheese; drizzle the onion marmalade over the layers.
- If you are not a blue cheese fan, substitute this for feta cheese or white Cheddar.
- Omit chilli flakes.
- If you prefer something sweet; omit onion marmalade; sprinkle fritters with cinnamon, and serve drizzled with maple syrup.