Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with honey, lemon, and toasted walnuts. Tender, caramelized, and so satisfying! Perfect recipe for a simple side or light meal.
YIELD: 4–6 servings
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon honey (use agave to make vegan)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Remove the outer leaves from each cauliflower head. Cut off the bottom stem end so that you create a flat base and can stand the cauliflower up on a cutting board. Resting the cauliflower on the stem, use a large, sharp knife to trim away the sides, then cut the remaining head into 2 very thick or 3 more moderate “steaks.” Reserve the sides for another use (see notes). In a small bowl, stir together the lemon zest and lemon juice, garlic, and honey.
- Heat a grill to medium (about 180’C). Brush one side of each cauliflower steak with the lemon–olive oil mixture and then sprinkle the brush sides with half of the salt. Place the salted side down on the hot grill, then brush the tops of the steaks with the olive oil mixture and season with the remaining salt. Cover the grill and let cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the bottom is beginning to char. Flip the cauliflower, then re-cover the grill and cook 5 additional minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Remove from the grill. Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes, parsley, and walnuts. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Garlic crumbed mushrooms
Appetizer – 12 portions
Servings persons, Preparation time 10 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 slice of white bread
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon flat-leafed parsley, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 (chestnut) mushrooms
- Preheat the AirFryer to 200°C.
- Grind the slices of bread into fine crumbs in the food processor and mix in the garlic, parsley and some seasoning to taste. Lastly, stir in the olive oil.
- Cut off the mushroom stalks and fill the caps with the bread crumbs.
- Put the mushroom caps in the basket and slide it into the AirFryer. Set the timer to 10 minutes. Bake the mushrooms until crispy and golden.
- Serve the mushrooms in a platter.
- 1packet lasagne sheets
- 750g oven-roasted butternut
- blanched spinach (as much as you like)
- 2tubs mascarpone cheese
- 5g Nutmeg
- 2 dessert spoons caramelised onion or onion marmalade
- one or two handfuls unsalted mixed nuts
- Parmesan cheese, grated
Oven temperature: 200ºC
Preheat the oven. Place a layer of lasagne sheets in an oven dish, followed by a layer of butternut and then the spinach mixed with mascarpone cheese. Repeat the process. Sprinkle nutmeg over the layer of butternut. Finish each layer off with some caramelised onion or onion marmalade.
Sprinkle nuts and Parmesan over the top. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
Servings: 6 – 8
- 400 g / 14 oz canned chickpeas (1 can), drained (reserve liquid and a few chickpeas for garnish)
- 2 – 3 tbsp liquid from the canned chickpeas
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1/4 cup / 65 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup / 65 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sprinkle chilli flakes
- Pinch of paprika, more olive oil and reserved chickpeas
- Reserve 5 or so chickpeas for garnish.
- Place remaining chickpeas, garlic, lemon, and olive oil in a food processor or blender. Blitz until it becomes a paste.
- Add salt and pepper – if using canned chickpeas, add salt gradually because the saltiness varies from brand to brand. Add reserved liquid from can. Blitz for a couple of minutes until pretty smooth – it won’t be 100% smooth.
- Adjust lemon and salt to taste, adjust thickness with more liquid. It should be a soft dropping consistency, like ketchup.
- To serve the traditional way: dollop a big scoop of hummus on a plate or shallow bowl. Use a spoon to spread it and make swirls on the surface. Top with reserved chickpeas, drizzle generously with more olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.