Make a batch of these corn fritters to serve with a roast, grill or
braai, with a salsa, and some crispy bread, they will make you an ever-popular super mom!
750 ml frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 large eggs, beaten
70 g self-raising flour (125 ml)
15 ml fresh chopped parsley
15 ml fresh chopped dill
15 ml fresh chopped coriander
1 small red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
very finely (optional)
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil (for frying)
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl;
stir well to combine.
2. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. In a large frying pan, add 45 ml oil to the pan.
4. Cook over medium heat.
5. When oil is hot, drop teaspoonfuls into the pan.
Do not flatten; leave as they have landed in the pan.
6. Wait about three minutes to turn over.
7. Cook for a further three to four minutes.
8. Remove, and drain on a paper towel or in a colander lined
with paper towel.
• Add 5 ml baking powder, 2 ml ground cumin, 5 ml ground
coriander and 4 chopped spring onions to the batter; omit
• Add 5 ml baking powder, 125 ml milk; use 100 g
(180 ml) cake flour, and add 125 ml grated Cheddar
cheese and 60 ml Parmesan cheese; omit herbs, but the
parsley makes a good addition.
• Sprinkle with icing sugar for a sweet and savoury
• Serve with maple syrup on the side.