Corn & Herb Fritters
Make a batch of these corn fritters to serve with a roast, grill or braai, or as part of No-Meat Monday; with a salsa, and some crispy bread, they will make you an ever-popular super mom! Serves 4
750 ml frozen corn kernels, thawed 2 large eggs, beaten
70 g self-raising flour (125 ml)
15 ml fresh chopped parsley
15 ml fresh chopped dill
15 ml fresh chopped coriander
1 small red chilli, seeds removed and chopped very finely (optional)
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste Extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil (for frying)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl; stir well to combine.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- In a large frying pan, add 45 ml oil to the pan.
- Cook over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, drop teaspoonfuls into the pan.
Do not flatten; leave as they have landed in the pan.
- Wait about three minutes to turn over.
- Cook for a further three to four minutes.
- Remove, and drain on a paper towel or in a colander lined with paper towel.
- Add 5 ml baking powder, 2 ml ground cumin, 5 ml ground coriander and 4 chopped spring onions to the batter; omit the herbs.
- Add 5 ml baking powder, 125 ml milk; use 100 g
(180 ml) cake flour, and add 125 ml grated Cheddar cheese and 60 ml Parmesan cheese; omit herbs, but the parsley makes a good addition.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar for a sweet and savoury taste sensation.
- Serve with maple syrup on the side.