30 ml olive oil
4 cloves garlic; finely grated
3 x 800 g canned whole Italian tomatoes; processed to a fine pulp with a blender
250–400 ml chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
15 ml sugar
5 ml salt
Ground black pepper
250 ml cream
12 slices white bread
Butter for spreading
300 g Brie cheese; sliced
20 g basil leaves (1 punnet)
1. In a medium size pot, heat the oil and fry the garlic over medium heat for about 1 min.
2. Add the fine tomatoes, stock, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer, then cook for 10–15 min. over low heat.
Add the cream and heat through without bringing to a complete boil again. Serve warm.
3. For the sandwiches, spread bread with butter (on the outside of the sandwich), & arrange slices of Brie & basil on the inside.
4. Toast in a hot pan on both sides until golden and gooey. Serve with the soup.
• Canned whole Italian tomatoes are far superior to canned chopped tomatoes, so try not to substitute the two.
• Without the stock and cream, this recipe can also double up as a versatile pizza base sauce and pasta sauce.