This is a very special recipe to me. The first time I went for dinner to my in-laws’ home, Maggie and John, Maggie cooked this meal. That night I asked them for their daughter’s hand in marriage. Naturally, every time I see or eat a tortilla, it brings back wonderful memories. Maggie likes to put on some classical guitar music (Albeniz), make you close your eyes, eat, drink, and pretend that you are at a Tapas bar on Las Ramblas, in Barcelona. Maggie’s mother, who hails from Barcelona, showed her, on one of her visits to South Africa, how to make this easier, baked version. The proper method is to cook this tortilla (omelette) on top of the stove in a large, heavy-based frying pan. When it is partly cooked, you slide it onto a large plate, turn it over, and return to the frying pan, to cook on the other side. Far too complicated; this takes years to master. Comer con mucho gusto (eat and enjoy).
Serves 6 – 8
- 12 – 14 large eggs
- 8 potatoes, parboiled and
- chopped into thick slices
- 3 onions, cut into rings
- 80 ml olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180oC/160oC fan/Gas mark
- Use a large, round, at dish/ an ring/ earthenware dish. This is to make the cooked tortilla resemble the same shape as if it had been cooked in a large frying-pan on the stove.
- Spray the dish with Spray and Cook; rub with a small amount of olive oil.
- Sauté the onions until almost translucent; then add the parboiled potatoes. (It is best to do this in batches).
- When completed; spoon into the prepared dish.
- Beat 12 eggs and add seasoning; pour this over the onions and potatoes, until they are covered with the eggs – you may need to add more eggs.
- Place dish on a baking tray; bake for approximately 30 – 45 minutes, until the eggs have set, and are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Cut into wedges and leave in the dish. When this has cooled to room temperature; sprinkle with chopped parsley or rocket.
- Serve with sun-dried tomatoes, olives and a glass of wine.
- 45 ml finely chopped parsley or rocket leaves.
- Add chorizo, ham, or bacon for a different flavour.
- Use sliced red or green peppers, added in step 4.
Sent with Love