As 2016 draws to a close, we focus on 2017 and think back on the goals and resolutions that we made in 2016 and just wonder what happened. For those of you who wrote down their goals, you would have achieved almost everything. I achieved everything except for one and I couldn’t understand why I would achieve everything except for one until I read it – and then I realised I actually had achieved it.
I wrote down a goal that I wanted to buy the Three Arts Centre in Cape Town. At the end of the year I still wanted to buy the Three Arts Centre but I haven’t bought it…. yet. So now I have changed my goal to “This year I will buy the Three Arts Centre in Cape Town.”
So I think the wording of your goals is extremely important.
When it comes to goal setting there are 9 major points that you have to look at.
***Attached is the picture of all the points.
- If you are going to make New Year’s resolutions they have to be written down. If they are not on paper they are vapour.
- Secondly, you need to put them where you can look at them everyday. On your screen saver, on your fridge, where you brush your teeth, where you open your cupboard etc.
- You can’t be secretive about them. You have to make them public. You have to become accountable and take responsibility for them. You can’t hide something and just pretend it just happened.
- If you want your dreams to come true, if you want to achieve your goals, there is only one way to do it. Set them out, write them down and remember the more specific you are the closer you will come to achieving them. Read through them every single day.
- Take one step no matter how small towards each one every single day and you will be amazed how quickly you will get there.
- Where most people go wrong with goal setting, is that they start at the beginning and work forwards.
You need to start with the end in mind. Project yourself forward to the end of 2017, look back on the year, work backwards from where you want to be this time this year. This will give you the steps that you need to follow to get there.
May I take this opportunity of wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season and everything of the best for 2017. Make it the year that all your dreams come true!