A healthy alternative to meat or chicken.
Serves 4 – 6
500 g butternut or pumpkin, peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
300 g button mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch Swiss chard or spinach; wash, remove stems and chop finely
200 ml sour cream or crème fraiche
6 large eggs, beaten Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
3 ml ground nutmeg
100 g Cheddar cheese, grated (250 ml)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160º fan/Gas mark 4. Grease a medium- sized loaf pan and line with baking paper. Grease paper. Use a silicone or glass loaf pan if cooking by combination or microwave.
2. Place butternut or pumpkin and garlic in a microwave container. Cook on 100% power for 6 – 8 minutes. Alternatively steam on the hob over moderate heat until tender. Cool. Process with a plunge blender until fine in texture.
3. Place mushrooms in a microwave container. Cook on 100% power for 3 – 4 minutes. Drain well, then process with a plunge blender until fine in texture.
4. Process the spinach with a plunge blender until fine in texture.
5. Beat sour cream or crème fraiche, eggs, and seasoning together. Divide into three. Mix 1/3 into each vegetable. Add in 1/3 of the grated cheese to each vegetable.
6. Layer vegetables in the following order: spinach then pumpkin; end with the mushroom layer. Bake as follows:
Convection: 180°C/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4 for 50 – 60 minutes. Combination/Solar Dom: 180°C + 50% microwave energy for 18 – 25 minutes.
Microwave: 70% power for 12 – 15 minutes – cover with plastic wrap prior to cooking. Allow to cool slightly before turning out. Serve hot or cold with a salad and crusty bread.