Harira vegetable soup with barley and quinoa
How delish does this recipe from www.bibbyskitchenat36.com look?
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 stems celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 cm dice
- 1 fat clove garlic, minced
- 3cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml tomato passata
- ⅔ cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup barley, rinsed and drained
- 6½ cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- chopped flat leaf parsley and mint, to serve
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Heat a small pan over a medium heat and dry toast the cumin seeds until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Crush lightly in a mortar and pestle.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the the onions in the olive oil for several minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the ginger and all the spices, including the crushed cumin and lemon zest. Stir through and toast for just a minute or so until you smell the lemony oils.
- Stir in the tomato paste and add the chopped tomatoes, tomato passata, lentils, barley and stock. Bring the soup up to a boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Now add the quinoa and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes or until the barley is tender and the quinoa is softened and swelled.
- Add the chickpeas and lemon juice and heat through.
- To serve, scatter with a handful of the herbs and chopped walnuts.
For more Meatless Monday inspiration, these recipes are some of my fall-back favourites: Leftover roast vegetable harissa soup