These crunchies are especially good with the addition of sunflower seeds, lots of lovely oats and coconut which helps to make these a crunchy delicious treat. Also good to think you are getting seeds and oats into children´s diets if you pop one or two into their lunchboxes.
Makes approximately 36 – 48 squares
75 g cake flour (130 ml)
5 ml bicarbonate of soda
225 g soft brown sugar (280 ml)
125 g porridge oats (410 ml)
80 g coconut (250 ml)
25 g sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
125 g butter or margarine
25 ml golden syrup
25 ml warm water
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160ºC fan/ Gas mark 4.
2. Grease a rectangular 20 x 30 x 4 cm baking pan and line with baking paper and grease again.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients and sunflower seeds or slivered almonds together in the large bowl of an electric food mixer.
4. Place the butter and golden syrup together into a glass jug and microwave on 100% power for 1 – 2 minutes until melted and bubbling.
5. Add the butter mixture and warm water to the dry ingredients and mix very well.
6. Press the mixture evenly into prepared baking pan.
7. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
8. Remove from oven and after 5 minutes, cut into squares or bars.
9. Store in sealed container.