Honey-Nougat ice cream has the flavour of traditional almond-and-nut nougat in a smooth, intensely rich ice cream. This is any sweet-lover’s dream dessert. Give it a try. We love it! Serves 6
375 ml thick cream
3 ml orange flower water/essence
1 x vanilla pod
2 large egg whites, room temperature
80 ml honey
250 ml granulated sugar
60 ml water
125 ml toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
60 ml toasted pistachio nuts or pine nuts, coarsely chopped 125 ml dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Place cream, orange flower water/essence and the seeds of the vanilla pod in a medium bowl; beat the cream until it is thick, and holds soft peaks. Place the whipped cream in the refrigerator until required.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl of an electric food mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- While the egg whites are beating, combine the honey, sugar, and water in a medium- sized saucepan. Bring mixture to the boil over medium heat; stir until the sugar dissolves. Boil for two minutes.
- Remove the syrup from the heat, and, while the mixer is running, slowly pour the hot syrup in a steady stream into the egg whites.
- Beat the mixture for about 5 – 7 minutes, until it has cooled to room temperature.
- Fold in the cream, chopped, roasted nuts, and chopped chocolate.
- Pour into an airtight plastic container with a lid, and place it in the freezer, to firm up overnight.
- Add 125 ml dried cranberries and chopped, white chocolate instead of dark chocolate, in step 6.
- Add 100 ml raspberries to the mixture, in step 6.
- Add 125 ml glacé cherries, chopped, in step 6.
- Add 125 ml glacé figs, chopped, in step 6.
- Add 150 g nougat bars, chopped in step 6. (Sally Williams’ nougat is excellent!)