A very tasty vegetarian dish which is simple to make.
Serves 4 – 6
1 large onion, chopped
30 ml sunflower oil
50 ml chopped parsley
2 x 410 g tins cooked lentils, well drained 50 g Cheddar cheese, grated (125 ml)
3 ml cayenne pepper
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
3 large eggs, beaten
150 ml cream or milk
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste 200 g baby tomatoes cut in half
50 g fresh brown breadcrumbs (100 ml)
40 g Cheddar cheese, finely grated (100 ml) Paprika
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160oC fan/Gas mark 4. Grease a medium- sized loaf pan and line with baking paper. Grease paper. Use a silicone or glass loaf pan if cooking by combination or microwave.
- Sauté onion in oil until translucent. Add in parsley and drained lentils. Remove from the heat.
- Mix in 50 g Cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and rind.
- Beat eggs, cream or milk and seasoning together. Mix into lentil mixture.
- Place 1/3 lentil mixture on base; cover with 1⁄2 baby tomatoes. Repeat layers, ending with lentil mixture. Reserve a few baby tomatoes for the top.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and 40 g Cheddar cheese. Dust with paprika. Convection: 180°C/ 160oC fan/ Gas mark 4 for 40 – 50 minutes.
Combination/Solar Dom: 180°C+ 50% microwave energy for 18 – 25 minutes. Microwave: 70% power for 12 – 15 minutes – cover with plastic wrap prior to cooking.
- Allow to cool slightly before turning out. Serve hot or cold with a salad and crusty bread, or with steamed courgettes and tomato sauce.
- Use 180 g uncooked lentils. Cook in 500 ml boiling water on 100% power for 15 – 20 minutes or until tender. Use in place of tinned cooked lentils.
- Add 1 chopped green pepper in step 2.
- Add 200 g sliced mushrooms in step 2.