This great starter is refreshing to the taste, with a little bite to it, which will satisfy any number of guests. The addition of dates provides an interesting texture to this salad; together with the almonds and spice it is 3very aromatic.
- 15 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 100 g pitted dates, halved lengthwisw (Medjool dates are a good choice) 30 g butter
- 25 ml olive oil
- 3 pita breads, cut into thin wedges
- 75 g slivered almonds
- 10 ml harrissa paste
- 3 ml chilli akes
- 1 x 200 g packet spinach leaves
- 25 ml lime juice
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Combine vinegar, onion and dates for 30 minutes.
- Heat butter and oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add pita bread wedges and slivered almonds; toss in the oil, and lightly fry, until the almonds are toasted, and the pita bread is crispy.
- Add in the harrissa paste and chilli, cook for a further minute.
- Allow to cool.
- Place the spinach leaves onto a at platter; arrange the onion, dates, pita bread and almond mixture over the spinach leaves. Drizzle with lime juice, and season to taste.
- In place of the pita breads, use 4 slices bread of your choice; remove crusts, and cut into cubes. Cook as in step 2.
- Serve on a mixture of rocket and watercress, in place of the spinach leaves.