- 200 g berries may be arranged in the middle layer on top of the chocolate cream.
- Make chocolate curls easily
by running a dry and clean vegetable peeler along the edge of a bar of chocolate: the chocolate will curl as you pull the peeler along the chocolate.
- Giant Chocolate Curls: spread melted chocolate on
a silicone baking mat. Roll
up loosely and tie with twine or an elastic band middle,
top and bottom. Place in the refrigerator to firm, then gently unroll the mat. The chocolate will break as it is unrolled, thus creating perfect giant chocolate curls.
As I have already said, family and friends are very important to me. When we are all together we need a large, decadent dessert, which is easy on the eye, simple to make, yet tastes delicious. This recipe is our favourite. Serves 12 – 16
6 extra-large egg whites
240 g granulated sugar (310 ml)
5 ml vanilla essence or vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped out 5 ml vinegar
5 ml water
2 ml baking powder
1. Preheat oven 110oC/100oC fan/Gas mark 1/4.
180 g milk chocolate
250 ml whipping cream Topping:
250 ml whipping cream
2 Flaky chocolate bars or home-made chocolate curls
- Prepare two baking trays approximately 33 cm x 23 cm with baking paper, extend the edges by approximately 2.5 cm all around; do not grease.
- Make Meringue: Whisk egg whites using a large electric food mixer, until stiff but not dry.
- Fold in sugar gradually in stages. When stiff and glossy, add in vanilla, vinegar, water and baking powder.
- Divide meringue into two. Spread half onto each baking tray, making the mixture even in thickness and spreading into the edges of the tray.
- Bake for 1 hour until firm and golden on top.
- Make Filling: Melt chocolate in microwave oven on 70% power for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring each minute.
- Cool slightly. Meanwhile, whip 500 ml cream, divide in half, and fold in cooled melted chocolate to half of the cream.
- Invert one layer of meringue onto a serving platter. Remove baking paper.
- Spread with chocolate cream.
- Invert second layer of meringue on top of chocolate cream.
12. Topping: Cover with plain whipped cream, and sprinkle crushed Flaky chocolate or chocolate curls (see page 142) on top.
13. Refrigerate before serving.