At certain times you need to entertain. This appetizer or starter certainly has a festive and colourful air about it. It is very simple to prepare, and tastes as good as it looks. We hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
Serves 4 – 6
125 ml pistachio nuts, shelled 10 ml ground coriander
10 ml ground cumin
3 ml dried thyme
125 ml dried cranberries, roughly chopped 250 g goat’s cheese, in a log shape
To serve: Bruschetta, savoury biscuits, pita wedges or fresh French bread, sliced
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, dry roast the pistachios; add in coriander and cumin after 3 minutes.
Roast until fragrant; about 4 – 5 minutes in total, stirring fairly frequently. Allow to cool.
- Combine the pistachios, coriander, cumin and thyme with the cranberries.
- Place on a flat plate, and roll the goat’s cheese log in the mixture until completely coated with the mixture.
- Place on a serving dish; sprinkle the remaining pistachio and cranberry mixture around the log.
- Store at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- The cheese will then soften nicely and become easier to spread.
- Serve with a variety of bruschetta, savoury biscuits, pita wedges and/or fresh sliced bread.
• Add 125 ml finely chopped glacé figs in step 2. Omit spices and thyme.