Serves 8 – 10
400 g butternut or pumpkin, peeled and cubed 60 g soft brown sugar (90 ml)
500 g sweet shortcrust pastry
5 ml ground cinnamon
2 ml ground ginger
2 ml ground mixed spice
3 extra-large eggs
1 x 397 g tin condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 200oC/ 180oC fan/Gas mark 6.
- Steam pumpkin in a colander over boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Place onto a baking sheet. Cover with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Roll out pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of about 2.5 – 3 cm to fit a 25 cm x 3 cm deep pie tin. If your tin has a lip, make a pattern around the edges with a fork and brush the edges of the pastry with a little beaten egg and water. Place in the refrigerator.
- Place cooled pumpkin into the food processor bowl which is fitted with the double-knife stainless
- Add in the spices, eggs and condensed milk and blend to a smooth purée.
- Pour into the pastry case.
- Bake for 15 minutes at the higher temperature, then reduce to 180oC/160oC fan/Gas mark 4 for a further 30 – 40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.