Quick Mexican Tomato-Tortilla Soup
Serves 4 – 6
15 ml sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
3 ml dried chilli flakes
5 ml paprika
3 ml ground cumin
1 x 800 g tin chopped tomatoes 250 ml red lentils
1 x 400 g tin red beans, drained
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
15 ml fresh basil, chopped
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste 2 tortilla wraps, cut into thin strips
30 ml olive oil Sea salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-heat; lightly sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the chilli, paprika, cumin, tomatoes, lentils, beans and stock, bring to simmering point, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- Add chopped basil for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Blend soup with a plunge blender or in a food processor fitted with the double-knife stainless-steel blade. Process until smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Fold wraps into quarters; cut into fine strips with a pair of scissors. Toss strips in olive oil and sea salt and bake at 180oC/160oC fan/Gas mark 4 for 15 minutes. Do this while the soup is cooking.
- Serve soup with the crisped tortilla strips.
- Serve soup with a blob of basil pesto.
- Use smoked paprika in place of normal paprika.
- For a meatier flavour, add in 125 g finely chopped bacon, in step 1.Tip:
• Divide the soup into 2 portions. Freeze the remainder for use another day.