400g plain chocolate, broken into squares
180g golden syrup
100g butter or margarine (100ml)
2 packets digestive biscuits or 1 packet rich tea biscuits
15 glace cherries, chopped
50g seedless raisins or dried cranberries
50g chopped nuts (optional)
1. Place chocolate, golden syrup and butter in a microwave-proof bowl or jug, microwave on 70% power for 3 – 4 minutes until chocolate and butter are melted, and ingredients are combined.
2. Crush biscuits, using a food processor fitted with the double-knife stainless-steel blade. Pulse so that the biscuits are not too finely chopped, leaving some coarser pieces of biscuits in the crumb.
3. Mix biscuits crumbs, cherries, raisins and nuts together.
4. Add to this chocolate mixture and stir well to coat all the ingredients.
5. Grease the base and sides of a 30cm x 20cm pan (or use a loaf pan of 28cm x 10.5cm.) Line the base with baking paper, overlapping up the sides (this makes for easy removal of the biscuit cake), grease again.
6. Place the chocolate and fruit mixture into the prepared pan, press down to distribute evenly in the pan. Level the top.
7. Chill for 2 hours before cutting into squares or slices (if using a loaf pan)