This recipe is an old favourite made ‘bang up-to-date’ with beetroot, carrots, red peppers and onions, roasted with some balsamic vinegar or glaze, and sweet chilli sauce added, to lift the flavours sky high.
It is colourful and dramatic; can be made the day before you need it, and it is relatively cheap on the purse. Serves 6 – 8
4 beetroot, peeled, cut in half and then into wedges
2 red peppers, seeded and cut into cubes
4 carrots, peeled and cut into julienne strips
2 red onions, peeled, cut in half and then into wedges 2 cloves garlic, peeled, and cut into slivers
125 ml olive oil
4 sprigs rosemary
60 ml balsamic vinegar or 40 ml balsamic glaze
15 ml brown sugar
25 ml sweet chilli sauce
5 ml mustard powder
100 g feta or goat’s cheese, crumbled 4 – 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180oC fan/ Gas mark 6.
- Place beetroot, red peppers, carrots, onions and garlic into an oven roasting pan.
Pour over olive oil, and toss vegetables until well coated. Add 4 rosemary sprigs to vegetables.
- Bake: for 35– 40 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
Combination/Solar Dom: 200°C +70% microwave energy for 15 – 20 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Cool slightly. Remove rosemary sprigs. Mix together balsamic vinegar or glaze, sugar, sweet chilli sauce and mustard powder, and pour over the warm vegetables. Mix gently together.
- Place vegetables into a serving dish, top with feta cheese and fresh rosemary sprigs.
• Use ready-cooked beetroot to save on the preparation time. Roast as above.
• Use ready-prepared carrot julienne strips.
• A creamy salad dressing also works well with this salad, in place of the balsamic vinegar mixture.
• Did you know that olive oil is considered a healthy fat? The oleic acid found in olive oil is a monounsaturated fatty acid which stabilizes leptin in the body; and, together with polyunsaturated fats, forms part of a healthy diet.
• Do bear in mind that olive oil is high in calories, so use moderately.
• Store olive oil in a cool, dark place because sunlight and heat can destroy certain properties of the oil.