1. 1pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
2. 1/2pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
3. 1yellow onion, quartered
4. 5tablespoons olive oil
5. kosher salt and pepper
6. 1/2baguette, cut into 16 thin slices
1. Heat oven to 400° F.
2. In a large roasting pan, combine the carrots, parsnips, onion, 3 tablespoons of the oil, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread the vegetables in an even layer and roast, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining oil. During the last 10 minutes of roasting time, toast the slices until crisp.
4. Transfer the vegetables to a blender and purée with 3 cups water, adding more water if necessary, ¼ cup at a time, until smooth. Rewarm in a pot over medium-low heat, if necessary. Divide among individual bowls and serve with the olive oil toast.