Everyone loves the taste of tomato soup, and this recipe is no different, with just a twist, as the tomatoes are roasted and then blended together. Serve with chunky bread for a filling meal. Serves 4 – 6
1 kg cherry tomatoes, as ripe as possible
40 ml olive oil
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
3 ml chilli flakes or 1 small red chilli, seeds removed and chopped 3 cloves garlic, crushed
25 ml olive oil
2 red onions, chopped
60 ml balsamic vinegar
1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
A small bunch fresh basil, chopped 500 ml vegetable stock or water
- Preheat the oven to 220oC/200 oC fan/Gas Mark 7.
- Place cherry tomatoes in a roasting tray.
- Pour over olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add in the chilli flakes or chopped fresh chilli; then add garlic and toss everything together.
- Place roasting tray on the top shelf of the oven for 15 – 20 minutes; turn tomatoes from time to time.
- Place 25 ml olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan and heat. Add in onions and 2 ml salt.
- Cook gently until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add balsamic vinegar and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Cook until slightly reduced.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven and add everything to the pan of onion and tomato mixture. Add in basil.
- Halve the mixture and place into a liquidizer. Blend to a fairly course consistency. Repeat with second batch.
10. Return to the pan; add in stock or water. Mix well and reheat gently.
11. Serve with a few basil leaves and if you wish a little sour cream or crème fraiche.