2 – 3 x large brinjals (aubergines) 30 ml sunflower oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely crushed
3 cm fresh ginger, peeled, and finely chopped
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded, and finely chopped 25 ml garam masala
1 x 800 g tin plum tomatoes and juice
5 ml sugar
100 g roasted cashew nuts, crushed
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste Juice of 1 x lemon
1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
Garnish: Sprig coriander
- Char brinjals over gas flame, turning frequently until blackened. Alternatively, halve brinjals, microwave for 8 minutes on 100% power; then pop under a preheated grill element.
- Skin the cooled brinjals and scoop out the flesh. Place in a colander to drain any bitter juices. Chop into 2 cm cubes.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and sauté onion over medium heat for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli; sauté for a minute or two; add garam masala. Sauté for a further two minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and juice, brinjals, sugar and cashew nuts. Stir to mix; season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice, to taste.
- Stir in chopped coriander and cook for a minute. Garnish with coriander sprig and serve with rice, naan, roti, or glass noodles.