1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
1 package refrigerated puff pastry
6 heaping teaspoons Nutella
6 heaping teaspoons strawberry jam
2 large strawberries, sliced lengthwise and carved into hearts coarse sugar (or granulated sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and cover a cookie sheet with baking paper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water. Set aside.
3. Roll out puff pastry till it’s pretty thin (about 1/16th of an inch thick). Cut into 2.5 inch x 3.5
inch rectangles, re-rolling the dough as needed. You should end up with 12 rectangles.
4. Take 6 of the rectangles and cut out a heart in the center, using the strawberries carved into
hearts as a guide. Set aside.
5. On each of the 6 remaining rectangles, spread 1 heaping teaspoon of Nutella, leaving a 1/2
inch border around the edges. Then top the Nutella with a layer of strawberry jam, again
making sure to leave a 1/2 inch border.
6. Place a strawberry carved heart on top of the strawberry jam layer, in the center of the
rectangle. Top with the pie dough with the heart carved out of the center.
7. Seal the edges with the prongs of a fork and brush with egg wash mixture. Sprinkle heavily
with coarse sugar.
8. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 5
minutes and then serve!