The addition of crunchy crisp popcorn to the hot sweetcorn soup is an absolute taste sensation- try it! Serves 4 – 6
15 ml olive or sunflower oil
60 g butter or margarine (60 ml)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 x large onion, chopped
300 g sweet potato, cut into small cubes
500 g sweetcorn kernels
1 litre hot vegetable stock
100 ml cream or crème fraiche
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1. Heat oil and butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Once the butter or margarine has melted add the garlic, onion and sweet potato.
3. Sauté until onion is translucent.
4. Add sweetcorn and continue to cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
5. Add in stock, bring to the boil, and reduce the heat to simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, until the potato is soft.
6. Stir in cream or crème fraiche and season to taste with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
7. Purée with a plunge blender or pour into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
8. Pour into a warm bowl and add cumin popcorn immediately prior to serving.
• Use tinned or frozen sweetcorn kernels
• Use ready-prepared sweet potato and onion to save time.
• Use a bag of ready-made popcorn; tip in melted butter and cumin and mix well, if time is short.