Another Show-Stopper cake which is light and fresh with the orange flavour, enhanced by the syrup which acts in keeping the cake beautifully moist as well as adding extra zingy orange flavour. Topped with this easy icing, it not only looks great but tastes sublime. Do give it a whirl for your weekend baking or when you next want to bake someone a special treat. This is coffee-shop cake at its best!
- 250 g butter
- 250 g castor sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs
- Zest of two large oranges
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 280 g self-raising flour
- 150 ml buttermilk, maas or sour cream
- Juice of two oranges
- 100 ml granulated sugar
- 125 ml sour cream
- 45 g icing sugar (60 ml)
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Honeycomb shards or one chopped Crunchie chocolate
- Make cake: Preheat oven to 190ºC/170ºC fan/ Gas mark 5.
- Grease a ring pan and line the base with baking paper. Grease again.
- Cream butter and sugar for at least 5 – 7 minutes in an electric food mixer. The mixture will be very pale and light in texture.
- Add the eggs one by one. Add in the orange zest and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour and add 1/3 into the mixture, mixing gently and taking care not to over-mix. Next add in 1/3 of buttermilk, and repeat alternating flour with buttermilk, mixing gently to incorporate the ingredients.
- Place into the prepared pan, levelling out the mixture evenly.
- Bake for about 40 – 45 minutes until firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Whilst the cake is baking, mix the syrup ingredients together in a glass jug and microwave on 100% power for 3 – 4 minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, prick holes over the cake and pour over the sugar syrup. Allow to cool in the pan.
- Gently ensure that the cake is free from the sides of the pan and invert onto a serving plate. Remove paper from the surface of the cake.
- Mix sour cream and icing sugar together to get a soft flowing consistency, add in orange zest. Pour over the top and allow a little to drizzle down the sides of the cake.
- Crush honeycomb or chop up the crunchie chocolate bar, and sprinkle over immediately prior to serving.