250 g unsalted butter (250 ml), softened
410 g castor sugar (500 ml)
220 g self-raising flour (400 ml)
175 g cake flour (300 ml)
4 large eggs
250 ml milk
5 ml vanilla essence or seeds of 1 vanilla pod
1. Preheat oven to 180 ◦C/160 ◦C fan/ Gas mark 4.
2. Line 2 x muffin pans with cupcake baking liners.
3. In the bowl of a large electric mixer, cream the butter
4. Add the sugar gradually, and beat until white and fluffy,
all the sugar being dissolved.
5. Meanwhile, sift together the flours.
6. Add the eggs one at a time, with 15 ml flour at each addition.
Stop and scrape the bowl down well.
7. Add the flour in three parts, alternating with the milk and
vanilla essence. Do not over-beat; but make sure that the
mixture is well blended; scrape the bowl down intermittently.
8. Using an ice-cream scoop with a built-in release, fill paper
cupcake liners 2/3rd full.
9. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out
clean, or the surface of the cupcake springs back when
touched with a finger.
10. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack before filling
and icing accordingly, using vanilla butter cream or a flavour
of your choice. Use a chocolate ganache icing for a very
smooth, velvety texture.
Variation: Chocolate Cupcakes
• Use half white sugar and half brown sugar; 200 g dark
chocolate, melted; and replace milk with buttermilk. Add
melted chocolate into mixture after adding the eggs. Top with
chocolate ganache icing, or a chocolate butter icing.