Vegan panna cotta, a delicious plant-based version of the traditional Italian dessert.
- 4 cups unsweetened plant milkof your choice (1 liter), we used soy milk
- 1/4 cup maple or agave syrup
- 1 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (optional)
For the strawberry and rosewater compote:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1/2 cup of water water
- 1 teaspoon of rosewater
- Add milk, syrup and agar powder to a saucepan and stir until well combined.
- Add vanilla seeds and bean to the mixture and also the lemon peel strips. Stir again.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the vanilla bean and the lemon peel strips.
- Divide the mixture amongst 4 glasses and let it cool at room temperature first and then in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- To make the strawberry and rosewater compote, add all the ingredients to a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until it thickens. Stir occasionally. Let it cool at room temperature and then transfer to a sealed container.
- Serve the panna cotta with the compote on the top.
- Keep panna cotta covered in the fridge for 4 to 5 days and the blueberry compote in a sealed container also in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks.
Thanks to my friend Melanie Hawken for this fabulous recipe!