30 ml olive or sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
100 g carrots, peeled and finely chopped 100 g courgettes or patty pans, chopped 100 g mushrooms, sliced
1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
160 ml vegetable stock
15 ml fresh basil, chopped
1 bag fresh spinach, chopped
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper 15 ml brown sugar
400 g fusilli pasta or pasta of your choice
50 g grated Cheddar or Parmesan cheese or 50 ml mascarpone cheese
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic clove until translucent.
- Add in the carrots, and cook a further 4 minutes, then stir in the courgettes and mushrooms; stir well, and cook another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and vegetable stock. Simmer gently for a further 15 – 20 minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Add in basil and spinach leaves, salt and pepper and sugar. Cook a further 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Use a plunge blender and blend to a purée.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to directions on the packet.
- If necessary, thin the sauce down with a little more pasta water.
- Add the sauce to the cooked pasta, and toss well.
- Add the mascarpone (if using) to the pasta, and toss again.
- Serve with a little grated Cheddar or Parmesan cheese and a large green salad.