30 ml olive oil
45 ml red Thai curry paste
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small piece ginger root, finely chopped
125 g mange tout
125 g fresh green beans, cut into 2 cm lengths 2 carrots, cut into julienne strips
1 courgette, cut into 2.5 cm chunks
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 x 200 g tin water chestnuts, drained and sliced 1 x 400 g tin “lite” coconut milk
60 ml vegetable stock
10 ml fish sauce
20 ml brown sugar
200 g Chinese noodles
To garnish: Fresh coriander
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add Thai curry paste, and stir for 30 seconds; add in onion, garlic, and ginger root.
- Cook for a further 2 – 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in mange tout, beans, carrot strips, courgette, red pepper and water chestnuts. Stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, fish sauce and brown sugar.
- Simmer for 8 – 10 minutes, until vegetables have softened, yet still retain some crunch.
- Meanwhile, pour boiling water over Chinese noodles. Leave for 2 – 3 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water, to arrest the cooking process.
- Place noodles into a bowl; pour vegetables and sauce over noodles.
- Garnish with fresh coriander, and serve.
Peel root ginger easily: scrape the skin off with the edge of a teaspoon. It’s amazing how the teaspoon gets into all the knobbly bits of the root ginger, removing the skin with ease.