Meatless Monday is tomorrow and so we made this up for you to make for dinner. However its soooo good you can make it any day of the week. Veggie people will love this as it’s a great change from a veggie nut loaf. Left over cauliflower and/or broccoli is great to use up in this recipe.
Serves 4 – 6
1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 500 g in total)
1 large red onion
25 ml olive oil
140 g wheat cake flour (250ml)
10 ml baking powder
5 ml ground nutmeg
3 ml ground turmeric
100 g grated Parmesan cheese
100 g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
4 extra-large eggs, beaten
200 ml milk
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
5 ml black sesame seeds
1. Steam or lightly boil broccoli and cauliflower until stem tender, drain and set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/ Gas mark 4.
3. Grease and line a 900 g loaf tin with baking paper, grease again. Sprinkle with a few sesame seeds
4. Slice a few rings of red onion and chop the remainder.
5. Saute chopped onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes until softened but not brown.
6. Sift cake flour into a large bowl, together with baking powder, nutmeg and turmeric.
7. Add in the cheeses and mix well.
8. Mix together the eggs, milk and seasoning, add into flour and mix to form a soft batter.
9. Fold in the cooled broccoli and cauliflower by hand as well as the softened onion.
10. Pour mixture into prepared tin.
11. Arrange reserved onion rings on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
12. Bake for 45 minutes until firm and golden brown.
13. Serve warm in slices with a salsa or salad.