A winner every time for meatless Monday or any day of the week!
Serves 6 – 8
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
30 ml cooking oil or non-stick cooking spray
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red or green pepper, deseeded and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
410 g tin tomatoes, chopped, with juice
50 ml tomato purée
10 ml brown sugar
3 ml cayenne pepper
3 ml ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1 x 410 g tin chickpeas, drained
1 x 410 g tin red kidney beans, drained
1 x 410 g tin butter beans, drained
1 x 410 g tin lentils, drained
250 ml frozen peas
1 kg potatoes, peeled and cubed
60 g butter or margarine (60 ml)
50 ml milk
Salt and white pepper to taste
1. Sauté onions in heated cooking oil for 3 – 4 minutes, or spray large saucepan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add in carrots, red or green pepper and celery. Cook over moderate heat for a further 6 – 8 minutes, stirring to
3. Add tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in 100 ml water. Cook gently
until vegetables have softened – about 15 minutes.
4. Next add tinned chickpeas, kidney beans, butter beans, lentils and frozen peas. Cook a further 3 – 4 minutes
until peas have thawed. Mixture should be nicely thickened. Cook until liquid has evaporated, but do
5. Place mixture into a large, greased baking dish.
6. Prepare topping by cooking potatoes in microwave in a suitable container with a lid for 10 – 12 minutes on
100% power or until potatoes are tender.
7. Heat butter or margarine and milk; add into drained potatoes and mash with salt and pepper to taste.
Alternatively, cook potatoes in boiling water on the hob for approximately 20 minutes until tender. Mash.
8. Spread mashed potato evenly on top of bean mixture. Fluff up with a fork to encourage browning.
9. Grill: Approximately 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown.
Oven: Preheat to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark 4. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until golden brown and
• Chop onions, carrots, and red or green pepper and celery in the food processor.
Use the double-knife stainless steel blade.
• Make a batch of the vegetable mixture without the topping. Freeze in 500 g portions, which will serve 2 persons.
Thaw in microwave; make topping and heat in the oven as above.
• Add sliced leeks to butter or margarine for topping. Sauté and add to mash.
• Add 100 ml chopped parsley or coriander to mash.
• Add 100 g cubed feta cheese to mash.
• Use half sweet potatoes and half potatoes for mash.