Fable says that the waffle was born when an armoured knight sat down on pancake batter and created the familiar grid-shaped breakfast confection. luckily, we now have waf e-makers to do the job. Great treat for breakfast or tea. Sweet or savoury, no matter, the waf e is a thick, uffy treat.
Makes 8 – 10 waf es
- 280 g wheat cake our, sifted (500 ml) (2 cups) 5 ml baking powder (1 teaspoon)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 375 ml – 500 ml buttermilk (1 1⁄2 to 2 cups)
- 60 g butter, melted
- In the bowl of an electric mixer sift our, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the eggs, the lesser quantity of buttermilk, and butter; then mix well.
- Check consistency; if too thick, add a little more buttermilk.
- Grease the waf e machine with cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
- ladle in a spoon of mixture to nearly cover the base; close the lid and cook for 3 – 5 minutes until crispy and puffed up.
- Cook waffles according to the size of the waf e pan. Normally waf es are done when they stop steaming.
- Repeat with remainder of batter.
- Serve with maple syrup, Nutella, ice cream, berries for sweet waf es, or cream cheese, bacon, and toasted sun ower seeds.
- See other serving ideas under sweet and savoury pancake llings & topping & great toppings for waf es.
Try making savoury waf es with asparagus, poached/soft-boiled egg and hollandaise sauce. • The electric egg boiler could be used to cook the eggs – an additional appliance to promote.
For campers: grease a jaf e iron with butter, then place over moderate coals.
When heated, ladle waf e batter into the jaf e iron, close, and turn a few times whilst cooking. • Waf es are ready when crisp and cooked through.
Modern jaf e irons may also be used on gas/electric or induction hobs.
Equipment: Scale, measuring cups/spoons, medium-sized bowl, fork, spoon, whisk, jug, ladle or large spoon, metal/silicone egg-lifter or spatula, platter for serving, containers for toppings, knife, tasting cups and spoon.
Sent with Love