Whole roast cauliflower cheese & almond crumble
- 8 small cauliflower heads, stems removed and washed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup vegetable stock
Béchamel cheese sauce
- 80g butter
- 80g cake flour
- 1 litre full cream milk
- a generous grating of fresh nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch white pepper
- 1 cup mature white cheddar cheeseAlmond Crumble
- 2/3 cup fresh ciabatta bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 stems thyme, de-stalked
- freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch of sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180º C. Line a large roasting tray with foil.
- Start by preparing the cauliflower. Combine the olive oil and butter and brush evenly over the cauliflower.
- Season with salt and place on the tray. Pour the stock around the sides of the cauliflower, cover with foil and roast for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- To make the béchamel, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and whisk to form a roux.
- Add the milk in stages, whisking all the while. Once the sauce is smooth and thickened, season with nutmeg, salt and white pepper.
- For the crumble, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan, thyme, black pepper and salt.
- Remove the foil from the cauliflower. Spoon the béchamel over the cauliflower.
- Scatter the almond bread crumbs over and drizzle with olive oil.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200º C. Roast the cauliflower uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the crumbs are golden and the sauce bubbling.