Apple galette with walnut frangipane and caramel
- 160g cake wheat flour
- 90g whole meal spelt flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 30ml (2 tbls) icing sugar
- 180g Lurpak salted butter
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup( 100g) walnuts, toasted
- 100g Lurpak butter
- 90g castor sugar
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) cake flour
- 2 free range eggs
- 5ml (1tsp) ground cinnamon
- 7-8 apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons Lurpak butter, melted
- egg wash (whisk 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water)
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lurpak butter, melted with 2 tablespoons honey
Salted caramel sauce
- 200g (1/2 cup) castor sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 60g Lurpak butter
- a generous pinch of sea salt flakes
- Place the cake and spelt flours, salt and icing sugar in a processor.
- Add the Lurpak butter and pulse to combine. Add the water a little at a time, just until the dough combines. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
- For the frangipane, place the walnuts in a processor and blitz until fine. Add the Lurpak butter and the remaining ingredients and pulse to form a smooth paste.
- To make the caramel sauce, place the castor sugar in a saucepan. As it heats, swirl the pan until all the sugar is melted and the caramel, amber coloured.
- Add the cream and boil hard until the sauce is thickened and any hard caramel bits dissolved. Add the Lurpak butter and salt and whisk to incorporate.
- Preheat the oven to 200º C. On a well-floured surface, roll the pastry out into a round of 40cm across. Spread the frangipane over the base, leaving a 4cm boarder.
- Toss the apples in the melted butter and arrange on top of the frangipane.
- Fold the edges over, overlapping and pressing together lightly to secure. Brush the edges with egg wash and scatter with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Brush the apples with honey butter and drizzle over half the caramel sauce. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream and extra caramel sauce on the side.
Thank you bibbyskitchenat36.com for this fabulous recipe!