Asparagus, Artichoke & Cheesy Tart
Stunning fresh summery flavours. A great recipe to take on a picnic or to share with friends.
Serves 4 – 6
1⁄2 recipe cheese pastry (pg 39) 150 ml cream
150 ml milk
3 large eggs plus one egg yolk Salt and pepper to taste
100 g Parmesan cheese, roughly grated
1 bunch fresh green asparagus spears, trimmed
1 tin artichoke hearts, drained and cut into quarters
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/180oC fan/Gas mark 6.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly-floured surface, and line a 24 cm tart tin.
- Chill for 10 minutes. Bake blind for 15 – 20 minutes until pastry is golden.
- Mix together cream, milk, eggs and egg yolk, salt and pepper. Add in approximately 80 g Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange asparagus spears and artichoke hearts over the base of the tart.
- Reset oven to 150oC/130oC fan/Gas mark 2.
- Pour over milk and egg mixture; top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until the custard has almost set.
- Cool slightly and serve with a crisp, green salad.
• Add in 300 g steamed broad beans and 1 small bunch spring onions, chopped, for a heartier tart.