This is one of the easiest recipes to make. The whole house smells of freshly-baked bread. Beer bread looks superb, and is a great hit at any dinner party. If you need to whip up a quick meal, this is the recipe for you! The bread rises in no time, and is the quickest bread in the world to make. It is fun, because it uses beer; and it tastes fantastic with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or with some farm- fresh butter.
Makes 1 loaf or 8 – 10 rolls
- 500 g self-raising our 5 ml coarse salt
- 340 ml can of beer
- Preheat oven to 180oC/160oC fan/ Gas mark 4.
- Mix together the flour, salt, and beer.
- For rolls, shape the batter into fist-sized chunks; dust in flour for a rustic look; place onto a greased baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Alternatively, grease a loaf tin; place the bread mixture into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle extra Maldon sea salt, or sesame, or sun ower seeds over the surface.
- Bake for 55 minutes to an hour.
- Allow the loaf to stand for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Add 30 ml fresh rosemary, chopped, and 180 ml feta cheese, crumbled.
- 5 ml dried basil, 5 ml dried origanum, 2 cloves garlic, crushed, and 125 ml Parmesan cheese.
- 30 ml fresh dill, or chopped parsley and 250 ml grated Cheddar cheese.
- Experiment with different beers/ stout/ Guinness, for a change of flavour.
Sent with Love