These little puffs are just the ticket when you need something small and savoury. Do eat on the day of baking, as they are not at their best when stored for longer. They do not take long to mix together and bake, so keep this recipe handy when time is of the essence.
Makes 30 small muffins or 12 – 14 large muffins
• 140 g cake flour (250 ml)
• 10 ml baking powder
• 5 ml salt
• Good pinch cayenne pepper
• 2 ml dried marjoram or organum
• 5 ml dried mustard powder
• 100 g cheddar cheese, grated (250 ml)
• 1extra-large egg
• 180 ml plain yoghurt
• 30 – 40 ml milk
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/ Gas mark 4.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together into a bowl.
3. Add cheese and mix together.
4. Place egg into a measuring cup; fill to about 250 ml with plain yoghurt and milk.
5. Form a hollow in the centre of the dry ingredients, and slowly add liquid until just moist.
6. Mix with a knife or fork until no dry flour shows, but do not over mix. Texture must be lumpy, not sticky-smooth.
7. Spoon into greased mini-muffin pans, about 2/3 full, and bake for about 10 – 12 minutes,
8. until brown on top.
9. Check for doneness by lifting out of pan; they should also be brownish underneath.
10. Serve with chive butter.
• Add 25 ml chopped chives in step 3.
• Dust each muffin with a little paprika before baking.