This ever-popular fudge recipe has been around since
we first offered our microwave cookery classes in the 80s. It is a staple to make for cake sales and fund-raisers; a great addition to the birthday party table; for something extra special after a dinner party; or just to have as a treat. Makes about 36 squares
1 x 397 g tin condensed milk 500 g castor sugar (1 packet) 125 g butter or margarine
5 ml vanilla essence
- In a very large, hard plastic bowl, place condensed milk, castor sugar and butter.
- Cook on 100% power for 2 minutes; mix well.
- Cook a further 5 minutes on 100% power, and stir at least twice.
- Reduce power to 70% and cook a further 5 – 8 minutes, stirring as often as necessary; when the mixture rises, it is important to stir.
- Fudge will change colour and begin to show signs of coming away from the side of the bowl.
- Add in vanilla essence and any other additions you may choose.
- Beat well, but be very quick.
- Pour into a greased 24 cm square container to set.
Cut into squares with a wet knife before completely set.