PASTA SAUSAGE SALAD
Pasta and sausages, always a winner with little ones
4 chipolata sausages
100 g spiral pasta shapes
4 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
50 ml frozen peas, cooked
1 carrot, peeled and cut juilienne
100 ml homemade tomato salsa
- Grill: place chipolata sausages onto a rack and grill for approximately 10 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. Turn with tongs from time to time to brown evenly.
- Allow to cool and cut each sausage into small pieces.
- Hob: Cook pasta shapes in boiling water for 8 – 10 minutes until al dente, drain well and place in a suitable dish. Add oil and toss well. Cool.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, peas and carrot. Mix gently, then add in tomato salsa and toss to mix.
- Season to taste.
- Add 60 g cooked turkey breast cut into small cubes instead of sausages
- Omit sausages for a vegetarian option.
- Make extra to pop into lunchboxes as a healthy lunch option.
COLOURFUL CRUNCHY VEGGIE RICE
A great way to get those veggies down!
100 g brown or basmati rice
25 g sultanas
25 g dried apple rings, finely chopped
Juice of 1 fresh orange
1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped very finely
¼ small cucumber, peel, remove seeds, and chop very finely
1 carrot, peeled and chopped finely
25 ml toasted sunflower or mixed seeds
25 ml olive oil
10 ml finely chopped parsley
- Cook rice in boiling water for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Drain well, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Set aside in a large bowl.
- Place sultanas and apple rings with orange juice into a container and microwave on 100% power for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix into rice with all remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and season to taste.
Serves 2 – 4
- Great for lunchboxes.
- Add in 60 g cooked chicken breasts cut into small cubes for a complete meal in one.
- Add one slice pineapple, peeled and cored, cut into thin strips or tiny cubes.
HOMEMADE HEALTHY BURGERS
1 onion, chopped
15 ml sunflower oil
5 ml fresh or 3 ml dried thyme
10 ml fresh or 5 ml dried parsley
2 slices white bread, cut into cubes
1 green apple, un-peeled, cored and cut into pieces
300 g lean beef mince
15 ml tomato salsa
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
30 ml cake flour
6 hamburger buns
To Serve: Lettuce, tomato slices and tomato salsa
- Heat 15 ml oil and sauté onion over medium heat until transparent.
- Add thyme and parsley and cook for 1 minute.
- Put bread cubes, apple pieces and onion mixture in a food processor which has been fitted with double knife stainless steel blade. Pulse together for a few seconds.
- Combine all ingredients except cake flour, in a bowl and season to taste. Form the mixture into 6 burgers using flour-dusted hands.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up. At this stage burgers may be frozen.
- Fry the burgers in remaining oil for 4 – 5 minutes on each side over gentle heat.. Alternatively cook burgers under a pre-heated grill. Serve in a bun with lettuce, tomato and ketchup or tomato salsa.
- Open freeze then wrap individually in plastic wrap and label.
- Make small meat balls with the same mixture, bake in an oven tray at 160°C for 20 minutes. Serve with spaghetti or mashed potato
- These make a great lunchbox filler for hungry tummies.
RED APPLE WEDGES AND PEANUT BUTTER
Wash apple and cut into wedges. Place 25 ml peanut butter into a small container with a lid. The idea is to dip the apple wedges into the peanut butter to eat it. Kids love this idea in a lunchbox.
Lunchbox Pizza Quesadillas
2 Tortillas or pita bread
Ready made tomato or pizza topping sauce
Grated Cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
Spread one side of tortilla or pita bread with tomato or pizza topping, and top with grated cheese. Place other tortilla or pita bread round on top.
Place into a heated sandwich toaster for two to three minutes.
Cut into quarters and pop into lunchbox.