Never-Fail Chocolate Cake
Ideal cake for those school or office functions – this serves a crowd and is dead easy to transport. Also wonderful for those ravenous teenagers!
Makes 1 large cake (12 – 14 portions)
250 ml boiling water
20 g cocoa powder (60 ml) 75 ml sunflower oil
5 ml vanilla essence
5 extra-large eggs
315 g castor sugar (375 ml) 280 g cake flour (500 ml) 15 ml baking powder
- Place water and cocoa together in a jug and allow to cool totally.
- Preheat convection oven to 180°C/160oC fan/Gas mark 4. Prepare a 28 cm loose-bottomed pan. Grease and line the base with a baking paper circle on the base.
- Grease paper with a non-stick cooking spray or melted butter or margarine.
- Mix oil and vanilla essence into cooled cocoa mixture.
- Place eggs and sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and mix with the balloon whisk until thick and creamy. This will take about 8 minutes.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and fold in gently into the egg mixture.
- Carefully add cocoa and oil mixture; fold in with a metal spoon.
- Be very careful not to over-mix. Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- When cool, decorate with a butter icing.
- Make a vanilla cake by removing cocoa powder and increasing cake flour by 20 g (40 ml).
- Bake the recipe in two x 26 cm cake pans; grease and line with baking paper; grease again before adding mixture. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Decorate with chocolate or caramel butter icing (see p. 117)
- Use a chocolate ganache (see tips on p. 117) for icing chocolate cake and decorate with cut strawberries or crushed peppermint crisp around the edge of the cake.