South Africa’s favorite dessert…. what a winner! Try serving it in the deconstructive style for a change, using one of the variations on the tart below. This dessert goes a long way when demonstrating.
Serves 8 or 36 small tasting servings
If you are looking for the perfect appliances to make this fantastic recipe, check out a range that we suggest:
Defy 226L Metallic Combi Fridge – https://bit.ly/2VULwCX
Smeg Red 50’s Retro Style Stand Mixer –https://bit.ly/2Cj68xd
-250 ml Orley Whip or fresh cream
-1 x 375 g tin caramelized condensed milk
-20 ml castor sugar
-3 – 4 drops of peppermint essence
-3 Peppermint Crisp bars, crushed
-2 packets Tennis biscuits
- Using a large electric food mixer whip the Orley Whip or cream until soft peaks form.
- Add caramelized condensed milk, castor sugar, and peppermint essence. Beat until well mixed and then stir in 2/3 of the crushed peppermint crisp.
- Place a layer of whole Tennis biscuits in a buttered 30 x 20 x 5 cm dish.
- Spoon 1/3 of the caramel mix over the biscuits and spread evenly.
- Continue making two more layers, finishing with a layer of caramel/peppermint mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Decorate by sprinkling the remainder of the crushed peppermint crisp over the surface.
- Crush any leftover Tennis biscuits, and sprinkle over the surface with peppermint crisp.
- When set, cut into small squares and serve.
• Dip tennis biscuits in 100 ml milk mixed with 30 ml Amarula or Cape Velvet liqueur.
• Dip Tennis biscuits in 100 ml milk in which 30 ml instant coffee has been dissolved.
• Mix caramelized condensed milk mixture with 25 ml brandy for an adult flavor change.
• Top with flaked coconut and crushed peppermint crisp.