HIRSCH'S KITCHEN CAPERS WITH IZELLE HOFFMAN
Updated: Aug 5, 2021
Incase you missed it, you can watch the replay below and get the recipes here.
Butternut Squash Casserole
• 1 Small butternut, cubed to make 500ml
• 30ml Extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
• 250ml Chopped leeks, white and light green parts, rinsed well
• 2 Celery stalks, chopped
• 60ml Dry white wine
• 3 Garlic cloves, minced (or 5 cloves roasted garlic from this recipe, minced)
• 60ml Chopped fresh sage, plus about 12 small leaves
• 10ml Minced fresh rosemary
• 5 x 250ml Sour bread cubes
• 375ml Vegetable broth, more if needed
• 8 tiny pearl onions, peeled and sliced in half
• 60ml Dried cranberries
• 60ml Chopped fresh parsley
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the butternut squash cubes on the pan and toss with a drizzle of olive oil and generous pinches of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast 25 minutes or until tender.
• Reduce the oven heat to 180°C and lightly grease or spray a 20cm x 27cm or similar pan with olive oil.
• In a large skillet, heat 15ml of olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, and
generous pinches of salt and pepper and cook until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, chopped sage, and rosemary and stir. Add the wine, stir, and cook for 30 seconds.
• Stir in the bread, then 250ml of the broth, and gently toss until the bread cubes are evenly coated.Transfer to a baking dish and drizzle on the remaining 125ml of broth, especially over areas that may seem dry. Evenly distribute the butternut squash, pearl onions, and sage leaves through the spaces between the bread. Drizzle 15ml of olive oil on top along with a few more pinches of salt and pepper.
• Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the bread is golden brown on top. Sprinkle on the cranberries and chopped parsley, and serve.
Vegan Falafel Wrap
• 4 Large 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas (can use gluten-free if desired)
• 125ml Hummus store-bought or homemade
• Large handful baby spinach
• 1/2 large avocado thinly sliced
• 250ml Shredded beetroots
• 250ml Shredded carrot
• 8 Falafels crumbled
• 8 Toothpicks
• Divide hummus evenly and spread across each of the four wraps, leaving about an inch around the edge.
• Starting from the left of each wrap, add a strip of baby spinach, sliced avocado, shredded beets, shredded carrot and two crumbled falafels. Roll the wrap tightly, ensuring that all the ingredients stay in the tortilla.
• Secure with toothpicks and slice wrap in half. Serve and enjoy!
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. Place all of the above ingredients into a high powered food processor and blend until smooth and a thick batter has formed.
2. Fry in shallow oil until golden on each side.
Vegan Sheet Pan Pancakes
18 by 13 sheet pan
• 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached all-purpose flour)
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1½ tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 cups oat milk (or any non-dairy milk)
• 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 tbsp maple syrup (or sugar, optional)
• 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil (optional, can sub with applesauce for oil-free pancakes)
• ¼ cup vegan yogurt (optional)
• 2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
• 2 bananas (sliced)
• 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
• 1 cup blueberries
• ½ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 260 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
3. In a smaller bowl or measuring cup mix the milk with the apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Add the vegetable oil and maple syrup, if using.
4. Add the wet ingredient mix to the flour and combine with a whisk or spatula until just mixed. Don't overmix pancake batter to keep gluten from forming. Some lumps are fine, but there shouldn't be any streaks of dry ingredients.
5. Stir in the chia seeds.
6. Oil the sheet pan and pour in the batter. Add the toppings of your choice, if you wish, or you can just bake the pancake as is.
7. Place the sheet pan in the oven and immediately turn down the temperature to 100 degrees celsius. Bake 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Stay tuned to our blog for exciting recipes, networking sessions, product knowledge and much more.